How can a blind man lead a blind man?
Then Jesus gave the following illustration: “Can one blind person lead another? Won’t they both fall into a ditch?
I know the feeling, we want to help others but we have something deep within that is lurking in the shadows. A certain habit it seems. I will call it what it is though. It’s a deep down sin that has a hold. The scary thing is that if you don’t seek to change this sin it will destroy you. The very same scenario rings true in my life. I held a monster inside for so long that it became part of me. There is hope though. There is freedom in Christ
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
So before you give up know this. If Christ can change my heart he can change yours. But you will need to choose Christ. Let me say that again, you will need to choose Christ. I don’t mean be saved. I mean give that sin to God. There are certain steps you can take to change your heart. I know from personal experience that they work.
- Confess: Not just to God. Confess to your spouse, your brother’s or sister’s in Christ, Your pastor….. Everyone you can think of. You will have to experience humility before Christ can set you free.
- Replace: You will need to replace this desire with the word of God. This is the only way to freedom. If you don’t get into God’s word you will replace this sin with something else.
- Be accountable: Find someone who is willing to hold you accountable but this requires great honesty. Ultimately you will need to remind yourself that even if you lie to your accountability partner, God knows!
- Press on toward the goal: Philippians 3:14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.
- Pray! and not just for yourself. Pray for others. God will begin to develop a selfless life within you.
It all starts with confession though. I am very blessed to have a strong accountability partner who takes it very seriously. I look up to this person and I feel as if he looks up to me in some ways also. We both know that we will have to answer to each other at the end of the day.
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
There is power in confession, there is freedom in confession and there is healing in confession. But let’s not forget the important point to pray for one another. Prayer and confession must go hand in hand for the healing to take place. Confession and transparency makes us righteous in God’s eyes and this makes our prayers more powerful and effective!
Have you ever came across a life changing situation like this? Where you had to confess and change your heart? If so, will you be willing to leave a general comment explaining what the Lord has brought you through and where he is taking you?